My favorite part of training. Taper time. The last 2-3 weeks where you back off on your runs, look at what you have accomplished over the last 8-12 weeks of training, rest your legs, rest your mind, and focus on your goals for the upcoming race. Rock the Parkway 1/2 marathon is one week away...and I have to say it has not been an easy road.
My long runs have been rough. My short runs have been rough (at times) and it has lead to a lot of self doubt in the upcoming race and what the outcome will be. I battled with an injury early on in my training. But, I have to say that the last few weeks have been different. My shorter runs have been solid. Tempo runs, hills, speed work, long easy runs. Those runs have definitely boosted my mood, my confidence, and my ability to have a great race....and hopefully a PR on April 13th.
My longs runs have been awful and challenging. 6 miles on the treadmill. 7 miles around the High School parking lot (everything else was covered in snow,) 8 miles one afternoon after a very busy morning so my legs and my belly were not feeling so great. 9 miles on a gorgeous 84 degree day. What was I thinking running 9 miles on an 84 degree day? I was just so excited for it to feel like spring summer. 10 miles on the treadmill (because of a 3rd big snowstorm) and 10 miles (should have been 11) in the rain this past Saturday morning. I have not had a good long run yet. I am sure it will rain the morning of Rock the Parkway. Why would it not?
I have 8 miles on the calendar for Saturday morning. My last long run before Rock the Parkway. Mentally, I feel more focused and confident. I am looking forward to a nice solid run and the shorter distance this weekend. I will throw in a few short runs next week (3-4 miles) and hope I am ready for Rock the Parkway. I will hydrate well the whole entire week, not just the day before. I will eat as healthy as possible for the next week. I will get 7 hours of sleep each night. I will check the weather at least 73 times a day! Is any one else running Rock the Parkway? If so, look for me! I would love to meet you!
It is race week. Bring it on. I am ready. Oh how I love race week!
No comments:
Post a Comment