Sunday, January 20, 2013

5k Personal Record!!!

Saturday morning was a welcome surprise of 40 degrees outside for the Coffee VS Cocoa run!  Mark and the girls headed to swim lessons and I headed out for my first race of the year.  


I sent them this picture after I arrived to the race.  They are usually there to cheer me on.  Not this time.  


I ran with these girls...Jen, Casey and Bridget.  It was a cool morning, but not too bad at all considering it was January 19th.  It was  pretty small race (I don't know how many people) but a great atmosphere.  I signed up on 12/12/12 for $12.  That is the only reason why I did this race.  It was super cheap, included a long sleeve shirt and a coffee cup!  

Well, it was not officially 3.1 miles, but it was a PR for me.  My old 5k PR was back in the summer.  I was pleasantly surprised to break my old record.  I did not really think I would, was not planning on it, certainly did not train to do that, but happy anyway!  So I did 3.06 miles in 27 minutes and 28 seconds, with a pace of 8:58.  The first number is an 8.  That is not normal for me and I love it!  I certainly can't hold a pace, because my first mile was 8:44, second mile was 9:01, and my third mile was 9:18.  Maintaining a constant speed is not something I am good at at all...and I really have no clue how to try and do that.  

After the race we warmed up at a local coffee shop and hung out for a while just chatting.  It was a great start to the weekend.  


Then, Saturday afternoon was date day for Addison and Mommy.  Since it was almost 65 degrees outside, we headed to the zoo.  We did not have much time, but that did not matter to me.  We saw as many animals as we could, then Addison begged me to take her to the park AND stop at the local bakery and get a sugar cookie.  It was a great afternoon with Addison.  We really had a lot of fun.   Then, we met up with Lauren and Mark for dinner at Jason's Deli.  Very yummy!  

The rest of the weekend was pretty low key.  We also seem to lay low in January, recover from the holidays, and get ready for February with birthdays, and all kinds of fun.  

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Started following your blog through Hospital Hill...we must have run right beside each other! I PR'd at Battle of the Bean with a 27:21 and those splits were almost identical to mine!;) Great job and congrats!

Ashley said...

Thanks Ashlee! Great run!