Saturday, May 31, 2014

Lincoln Half Marathon (Finally...a Race Report)

Wow- it was 4 weeks ago when I ran the Lincoln half marathon.  We have been so busy that I am just now getting around to talking about the race.  

It was not my best race.  I did not PR (set a personal record) and honestly I can't even remember what my time was exactly...some where around 2:07.  I really wanted to hit sub 2 (under 2 hours) but knew that would be a long shot.  A PR was my next goal (under 2:05) and around mile 10 I knew that I would not hit either one of those times.  Actually, I knew a mile 4 I was not going to get sub 2.  I thought maybe around mile 6 I still might hit under 2:05.

So let's start from the beginning.  We drove up Saturday morning, and after driving around the campus a while we hit the Expo.  I picked up my race packet and strolled through the Expo.  It was even bigger this year!  Strolling through the running Expo's is always fun to me!  


Thank you Lauren for the snap shot!  After the Expo we headed to the hotel, swam, ate dinner, swam and finally went to bed.  


I was up at 5:00 and out the hotel door by 6:00.  Immediately when I stepped outside I noticed how windy it was.  I was hoping it was just the wind whipping through the downtown buildings....but that was not the case.  I was a windy race the whole time.  Plus, at 5:45 in the morning it was already 55 degrees.  A little too hot for a race.  

I headed up the the starting line with 12,000 + other runners.  We were able to wait in the indoor practice facility before the race started.  That was fun to be surrounded by thousands of other runners.  

I texted Mark and the girls several times....they wanted to see me...so I sent them a selfie! 

Finally around 7:20, it was race time.  I started out slow and maintained a great pace for first 3 miles.  There was a little hill around mile 2, but otherwise a pretty flat route.  


Mark and the girls were waiting for me around mile 3 or so.  It was so great to see them, give high 5's and hugs.  


I peeled off my long sleeve shirt and kept on running.  


Around mile 6 I saw them again.  Like I said, I knew at mile 4 I was not going to hit sub 2, so I decided to keep taking it easy and go for a PR.  It was hot and it was windy, so not the best running circumstances at all.  

Mark and the girls were cheering me on again around mile 8.  We almost missed each other.  They totally snuck up on me and I did on them too! 

I was around mile 10 that I decided running was not fun anymore.  It was hot, it was windy, my legs hurt, my feet hurt and I just wanted to be finished.  I kept trying to increase my speed and turn in on a little, but I just didn't have it in me.  From mile 10-13.1 I pretty much was done running.  I stopped and walked up a short hill...and I really did not want to start running again.  But, I did...and I didn't really like it.  


The finish line is at the 50 yard line of Memorial Stadium.  The best finish line ever.  It was amazing and believe me...I was so glad to be done.  Mark and his family and the girls were all in the stands cheering me on!  There was tons of great food after wards with lots of snacks!  It took me quite a while to catch up with them and find them...but I did! 



My biggest fans, bundled up and cold...since it was windy the spectators were a little cool, but not us runners!  Oh, and I forgot to mention...there are spectators along the whole entire half marathon route.  It was amazing to see the streets packed with people cheering us on! 



It was so great to have some of Mark's family down family down for the weekend. 


Thank you Mark for dragging the girls all over town to cheer me on.  It meant so much to have you all there! 



Rae Ann totally loved walking all over campus.  Perhaps she will be a Cornhusker in a few short years??


So overall, not a great race.  It was hot.  It was windy...and it was hard.  My heart was just not into this race.  For now, I am taking a long break from running.  I have not done anything for the last 4 weeks.  (Never mind that I just started a new job, and we sold our house that was not even on the market, and we are moving in 3 short weeks....)  Things have been crazy busy with no time or desire to run. At this point, I really don't know if that desire will come back...we shall see! 



No comments: